Modern life means most of us find it hard to consume enough vegetables, let alone the greens necessary to support a healthily functioning system. For us to maintain optimal health, our body must be alkaline and be supported by an alkaline diet. Unfortunately, through the high consumption of processed foods, alcohol and coffee, our bodies just don’t stand a chance.
When you look at the Sans [ceuticals] Acid–Alkaline chart, you can see that alkaline foods essentially consist of fruit and vegetables. Disease cannot survive in an alkaline environment, so consuming a good level of greens in your diet will help promote good health. Blending greens into smoothies is an ingenious way to keep your health on track by getting the goodness you need in one, quick burst.
Greens are high in cellulose, making them difficult to break down and digest, so for best possible absorption, they have to enter the digestive tract in liquefied form. In perfectly healthy human bodies, greens are liquefied by thorough chewing, followed by being mixed with stomach acid. Unfortunately, many people don’t have normal levels of hydrochloric acid in their stomachs due to mineral deficiencies—particularly zinc. Hydrochloric acid serves to break down food to provide the body with maximum nutrients for protection. If this isn’t happening, your body is simply not getting the nutrients it needs to be healthy.
People who have low hydrochloric acid in their stomachs eventually stop enjoying greens, developing a distaste for them and feeling nauseous after consumption. This is a natural defense mechanism and, unfortunately, a vicious circle. A diet high in processed foods makes us deficient in nutrients, thus rendering us unable to create stomach acid and therefore puts us off consuming greens. Inevitably, we become even more deficient.
But all is not lost! Here are a few tips and facts to maintain your acid levels, and therefore your interest and absorption of greens. Try these, and not only will your spirits lift, your body will thank you for it:
- By blending greens, it provides them in a 100% digestible form. Smoothies are excellent as the body requires very little energy to digest them and is therefore allowed to focus its energy on healing itself.
- Always be sure to keep fruits to a minimum as even natural sugars can upset the body’s natural balance.
- Green smoothies are better than juicing—especially when using a juice machine that extracts fibre—as they don’t oxidise as quickly and are a complete food because they still have fibre intact to maintain optimal bowel function.
- Greens are high in chlorophyll. A molecule of chlorophyll closely resembles a molecule of human blood. According to Dr. Ann Wigmore, consuming chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.
- Many people do not consume enough greens, even those on a raw food diet. By drinking two or three cups in a green smoothie daily, you will consume enough greens for the day to nourish your body, and all of the beneficial nutrients will be well assimilated.
- Always rotate your greens. Greens contain minute amounts of alkaloids, a group of naturally occurring chemical compounds that contain basic nitrogen atoms. Tiny quantities of alkaloids cannot hurt you, and even strengthen the immune system. However, if you keep consuming kale, or spinach, or any other single green for many weeks without rotation, eventually the same type of alkaloids can accumulate in your body and cause unwanted symptoms of poisoning.
Sans [ceuticals] Green Smoothie
- ½ an avocado
- ½ green apple or ½ cup organic blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (only with a powerful blender)
- 1-2 heaped teaspoons of greens powder
- 1 handful of spinach
- ½ a cucumber
- ¼ cup of coconut kefir or natural yoghurt
- 1–2 tablespoons of protein powder (good quality whey if a more sustaining breakfast is needed)
- stevia for sweetening to taste
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth, and serve chilled.